Verbesserung eines englischen Textes

Hallo :smile:

Also ich bewerbe mich für ein Auslandssemester an einer australischen High School. Jetzt muss ich ein Formular ausfüllen mit mehreren Fragen auf Englisch und wollte fragen, ob mir das jemand verbessern könnte?

• What expectations do you have?

I have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to get to know the culture and the country. I heard that the Australians were meant to be very open-minded and friendly. The school system is very different from the one in Italy, so I think that this will be a big change. I never lived in a host family before, I think living in a host family is a great experience. You have to become more independent and also help with the domestic work and stuff like that.

• What would you tell your host family about your home country?

I would tell them something about the school system, the culture, the food, my family, the daily life. At home I live in a small village so the life is surely very different. I would show them how to cook some typical dishes of Southtyrol or Italy.

• What do you think which characteristics does a student have to posses to have a successful stay?

For a successful stay you have to work hard and try everything to succeed with the language and the school. You don’t have to behave like you were at your own home, but to count yourself lucky that you can stay at this family. So you have to be helpful, friendly and reliable.

Danke im Voraus, LG Sarah

Hallo Sarah,

ich finde Deinen Text schon ziemlich gut, und ich meine, perfekt muss er auch nicht sein. Ich würde daher gar nicht jedes winzige Fehlerchen korrigieren wollen. Man versteht, was Du sagen willst, und dein Englisch ist besser als das so manches Managers.

Eines aber würde ich rausnehmen: „meant to be“. Das drückt nämlich die Intention eines Urhebers aus, der Satz hieße also (ins Unreine gesprochen), dass die Australier eigentlich offen und freundlich geplant waren.

Sonst alles paletti.

Viele Grüße
Guesswho

Hallo -

meine Anmerkungen:

„help with the domestic work and stuff like that“

• ich persönlich hätte wohl den Anspruch, eine Wendung wie ‚stuff like that‘ durch etwas Elaborierteres zu ersetzen. Wäre für diesen Zusammenhang eventuell schöner.

" You don’t have to behave like you were at your own home"

• ich bin nicht sicher, ob es das aussagt, was Du tatsächlich sagen willst, würde ich daher überdenken.

Gruß
roadwayrona

Vielen Dank :smile:

Danke, werde ich ändern!

Hallo Sarah,

im Großen und Ganzen sieht das doch schon mal ganz gut aus. Ich hab zwar ein paar Kleinigkeiten, aber lass dich nicht irritieren - das ist schon meckern auf hohem Niveau, dein Englisch ist auf jeden Fall gut :smile:

* Mir kommen die Antworten evtl. etwas kurz vor, aber ich gehe davon aus dass du in dem Formular nur beschränkt Platz hast. Wenn der Text dann so gut reinpasst ist alles in Ordnung - wenn du allerdings nur die Hälfte des verfügbaren Platzes nutzt dann könnte das evtl. zu wenig sein

* Bei Antwort 1 und 2 fangen sehr viele Sätze mit „Ich“ an :wink:

* „I heard that the Australians were meant to be very friendly“ - das ist sehr vage, so auf die Art „Ich habe gehört die wären nett, aber so ganz sicher bin ich mir da nicht“. Besser sowas wie „I heard that Australian people are very open-minded and friendly, thus I am looking very much forward to it.“

* „Stuff like that“ ist umgangssprachlich und etwas ungenau.

* „I never lived in a host family before, I think living in a host family is a great experience“ - zwei mal „live in a host family“ direkt hintereinander. Vielleicht „I never lived in a host family before, so I believe this will be a great experience“

Ansonsten wie gesagt super, und zu perfekt ist auch nicht gut sonst denken die noch dein Lehrer hats geschrieben :wink:

Viel Erfolg und viel Spaß Down Under!

Markus

Hallo,

klingt insgesamt schon richtig gut. Habe nur ein paar Kleinigkeiten korrigiert (meist nach Gefühl, ohne Garantie :wink:

I have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to
get to know the culture and the country. I heard that the
Australians are meant to be very open-minded and friendly.
The school system is very different from the one in Italy where I studied / where I was at school (zur Erklärung warum du das australische mit dem italienischen Schulsystem vergleichst), so
I think that this will be a big change. I never lived in a
host family before, but I think living in a host family is a great
experience for my whole life. I will become more independent and I am also looking forward to helping
with the domestic work and stuff like that. (freudige Erwartung ausdrücken!)

• What would you tell your host family about your home
    country?

I would tell them something about the school system, the
culture (music, theatre, TV, books), the food, my family, and my daily life. At home I live
in a small village, so the life will be surely very different. I
would show them how to cook some typical dishes of Southtyrol
or Italy.

• What do you think which characteristics does a student have
    to posses to have a successful stay?

For a successful stay, you have to work hard and try everything
to succeed with the language, the school and the different life conditions. You don’t have to
behave like you were at your own home, but to count yourself
lucky that you can stay at this family. So you have to be always
helpful, tolerant, friendly, and reliable.

Viel Glück!

Kann ich das bei der letzten Frage so sagen
„At school you have to make great efforts, so you can attend school successful.“ ?

Danke für deine Hilfe! :smile:

Hallo

Für mich tönt das gut, aber besser wäre wohl jemand mit Englisch als Muttersprache.

Hallo Sarah,
ich habe ein paar Kleinigkeiten geändert - dein/Ihre Englisch ist sehr gut - und schicke sie anbei. Ich hatte die Änderungen farbig markiert, aber glaube, dass die Markierung verschwunden ist, also hoffe ich, dass du/Sie finden kannst. Ich bin nicht ganz sicher, ob das der komplette Text ist, falls etwas fehlt, schicke ihn ruhig noch.
Viel Glück mit der Bewerbung
Holzbein

I have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to have a chance to get to know the culture and the country. I have heard that the Australians are meant to be very open-minded and friendly. The school system is very different from the one in Italy, so I think that this will be a big change. I have never lived with a host family before, I think living in a host family is a great experience. You have to become more independent and also help with the domestic work and stuff like that.

I would tell them something about the school system, the culture, the food, my family, the daily life. At home I live in a small village so the life is surely very different. I would show them how to cook some typical dishes of South Tyrol or Italy.

• What do you think which characteristics does a student have to posses to have a successful stay?

For a successful stay you have to work hard and try everything possible to succeed with the language and the school and to fit into the new environment?. You don’t have to behave like you were at your own home, but to count yourself lucky that you can stay with this family. So you have to be helpful, friendly and reliable.

Hi,

vorneweg: Deine Texte gefallen mir.

Mir ist nur eine Stelle aufgefallen:

I heard that the Australians were meant to be very open-minded and friendly.

Wenn ich das übersetze, hört es sich so an:
Ich habe gehört, dass von den Australiern erwartet wurde, dass sie sehr offen und freundlich sind.

Das Problem entsteht durch das „were meant to be“. Du kannst eigentlich schreiben:

I heard that the Australians are very open-minded and friendly.

Ich sollte noch sagen, dass ich kein Experte für australisches Englisch bin, das sicher seine Eigenheiten hat - aber wenn es klappen sollte mit deinem Aufenthalt, wirst *du* darüber bestimmt besser Bescheid wissen als ich :smile:

Viel Erfolg!
Heinrich

Hallo Sarah,

Hier ist der Text:
have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to get to know the culture and the country. I heard that the Australians „were meant“ are supposed to be very open-minded and friendly. The school system is very different from the one in Italy, so I think that this will be a big change FOR ME. I never lived in a host family before; I think living in a host family is a great experience. „You have“ One has to become more independent and also help with the domestic work and „stuff“ things like that.

I would tell them something about the school system, the culture, the food, my family, the daily life. I live in a small village so the life is surely very different. I would show them how to cook some typical dishes of „Southtyrol“ South Tyrol or Italy.

For a successful stay you have to work hard and try everything to succeed „with“ in the language and the school. You don’t have to behave like you were at your own home, but to count yourself lucky that you can stay at this family. So you have to be helpful, friendly and reliable.

Viel Erfolg in Autralien.

LG
Heidrun

Hallo, Sarah,

Es ist eigentlich am English nichts zu verbessern, aber du solltest vielleicht nochmals die Fragen genau durchlesen und sie dann tatsächlich beantworten! Du beantwortest keine Frage, sondern schwafelst. Wenn z. B. gefragt wird, was du deiner Gastfamilie über deine Heimat SAGEN würdest, erwarte ich nicht, dass du schreibst, ich würde ihnen ZEIGEN wie wir kochen … u.v.a.m.

nichts für ungut, entschuldige meine Offenheit. Falls du es überarbeiten möchtest, kannst du es mir gerne nochmals zu senden.

Viele Grüße
Gisela

Hallo Sarah.

Ich finde es o.k. so. Das mit dem „stuff“ würd ich noch weglassen, denn das heißt ja „und all son Zeugs.“ und klingt ein wenig abwertend.

Viel Glück.

MH

Hallo sarah,
im Großen und Ganzen finde ich es OK. Z.T. klingt es ein bisserl „Wörterbuch“. Aber das darf es auch; schließlich willst Du dort hin, um Dein Englisch aufzupolieren. Also: Schick’ ab den Text!
Toi, toi, toi
LG
effeso

Sorry I can not help on this one

Hallo :smile:,

hier meine Verbesserungsvorschläge:

1. Abschnitt
    -I heard that Australian people are very open-minded and kind.
    -The Australian school system ist very different from the Italian one,…
    -I have never lived in a host family before, so I think it is a great experience.

2. Abschnitt

• At home I live in a small village, so life is certainly very different.
  • South Tyrol
  1. Abschnitt
  • …to succeed by language and in school.
  • You shouldn´t behave as if you were at home, but appreciate your stay with the host family.

LG Sigrun

Hallo sarah_jpg

Erst einmal sei angemerkt: Der Fragebogen ist natürlich dazu gedacht, schon einmal vorab festzustellen, ob jemand gut Englisch kann für so einen Auslandsaufenthalt - ergo sollte er selbst ausgefüllt werden.

Dennoch untenstehend meine (ganz leicht) verbesserte Version, klingt an sich schon ganz gut. :wink:

I have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to get to know the culture and the country. I heard that the Australians are very open-minded and friendly.
The school system is very different from the one in Italy, so I think that this will be a big change. I never lived in a host family before, I think living in a host family is a great experience. You have to become more independent and also help with the domestic work and stuff like that.

I would tell them something about the school system, the culture, the food, my family, the daily life. At home I live in a small village so the life is surely very different. I would show them how to cook some typical dishes of South Tyrol or Italy.

For a successful stay you have to be able to work hard and try everything to succeed with the language and the school. You are not supposed to behave like you were at your own home, but to count yourself lucky that you can stay with this family. So you have to be helpful, friendly and reliable.

Ich habe den Satz „You don’t have to behave like you were at your own home …“ so verstanden, dass man sich nicht „aufführen“ braucht wie zu Hause und es dann entsprechend dem Sinn geändert im Englischen. Ansonsten nur kleine Umstellungen oder Rechtschreibung.

hoffe das hilft.

greets,
Solanum

Hallo. Dein Text ist größtenteils richtig und gut geschrieben, ein paar stilistische Verbeserungen gibt es aber:

_- What expectations do you have?

I have never been to Australia before and I am very excited to get to know the culture and the country. I’ve heard that the Australians were meant to be are very open-minded and friendly. The school system is very different from the one in Italy, so I think that this will be a big change. I have never lived in with a host family before, but I think living in a host family is this will be a great experience. You have to become more independent and also help with the domestic work and stuff like that other tasks._

„Were meant to be“ bedeutet zwar „sollten es sein“, aber eher im Sinne von „…sind es aber nicht“, was du bestimmt nicht meinst :wink:

„Stuff like that“ ist eine umgangssprachliche Formulierung, sollte man in formalen Texten nicht verwenden.

_- What would you tell your host family about your home country?

I would tell them something about the school system, the culture, the food, my family, the daily life. At home I live in a small village so the life is surely very different. I would show them how to cook some typical dishes of Southtyrol or Italy._

Alles richtig hier, aber ich würde schreiben dass du für sie kochen willst statt es ihnen nur zu zeigen :wink:

_- What do you think which characteristics does a student have to posses to have a successful stay?

For a successful stay you have to work hard and try everything to succeed with the language and the school. You don’t have to should not behave like as if you were at your own home, but to count yourself lucky that you can stay at this family, so you have to be helpful, friendly and reliable._

„Don’t have to“ heißt „du musst nicht“, aber was du meinst ist wahrscheinlich „du solltest nicht“, also „should not“. Wenn man anstelle von „like“ ein „as if“ verwenden könnte sollte man dies in formalen Texten immer tun. Ansonsten alles ok, aber für mich wirkt es etwas ernst. Vielleicht statt „count yourself lucky that you can stay…“ „consider it a privilege and an opportunity to stay with your host family and to share in their daily lives“ oder etwas in der Art, aber das ist nur meine persönliche Meinung.

Falls du noch weitere Fragen hast helfen wir dir gern.

Wissensstand: Mehrjähriges Studium auf Englisch, davon ein Jahr in UK. Heißt natürlich nicht dass ich unfehlbar bin :wink:

Hi Sarah,
bin kein Muttersprachler, ist in jedem Fall alles schön verständlich.
Beste Grüße
ULi