Walls of Belfast

Hi,
es geht mir um folgenden Text:

At a recent meeting in London, to discuss the Hungarian uprising of 1956, I found myself sitting next to the jovial MP for Daventry, Tim Boswell, chairman of the all party Anglo-Hungarian parliamentary group. We spoke briefly before the meeting and again afterwards. The 1956 uprising has always held a particular interest for me since the day my father brought me, as a small boy, to see the military camp in Co. Clare where Hungarian refugees were housed. I mentioned this, in conversation, after the meeting and there was some surprise to hear the Irish state had shown such generosity towards the Hungarians. It is regarded as axiomatic that Britain should adopt a paternalistic interest in foreign conflicts, while taking a more partisan line in problems closer to home. My English companions struggled to comprehend what foreign policy interest Ireland could have in distant central European conflicts. They were less than delighted when I explained it was natural for Ireland, itself recovering from centuries of oppression, to welcome the rebels who fought Soviet tanks with their bare hands. Boswell took it well and launched into a familiar recital of English weariness at the intractability of “Irish politics”. I posed a question which often confuses English interlocutors, “you mean English politics in Ireland, don’t you?”
I have often heard it said in England that Irish politics are rigid and inflexible but when I ask whether the speaker is referring to Fianna Fail or Fine Gael they are often genuinely confused. Most have never heard of these organisations and few have any idea what they stand for. When English commentators, even well informed people like the MP for Daventry, talk about Irish politics they are referring to the age-old divisions within Northern Ireland. When I point out that they are complaining about the politics of the part of Ireland that Britain still controls they show signs of irritation at being confronted with an inconvenient truth. The fact is that politics in the republic look much the same as any other European democracy, a volatile mixture of self-interest, principle and skulduggery. It is striking to consider that nearly a century after the division of Ireland the southern republic has moved on, converted its poisoned inheritance into something positive and made a success of itself while the north, still tied into the United Kingdom, is an economic and political failure, mired in ancient feuds and divisions. Seventeen years after the fall of the Berlin wall and the final liberation of Hungary, the authorities in Belfast consider it necessary to maintain high “peace walls” to keep the warring communities from tearing each other apart.
Is it fair to characterise the failure of Northern Ireland as due to some inflexibility in “Irish” politics? I think not. Northern Irish politics perhaps but Irish, no. There are deep-seated structural problems within Northern Ireland and the constitutional link with Britain is at the heart of all of them. It is the British controlled part of Ireland which has failed and the rigidity, which so many British commentators complain of, is a symptom of that failure. It is a failure of British politics, made in Britain by Britons. Britain must dig deep into its reserves of patience, time and treasure to solve it or at least manage it in a civilised fashion, and stop complaining about “Irish” politics.

Der Text ist von der Seite: http://tigerireland.blogspot.com/2007/01/walls-of-be…

Ich finde den Text relativ anspruchsvoll und da wohl meine nächste Englisch Klausur auf diesem Text basiert, ist es mir wichtig den text
zu verstehen.

Es geht mir also darum ob ich den Inhalt richtig verstanden hab:
das lyrische Ich ist bei diesem Meeting, wo es um den Ungarischen Aufstand von 1956 geht. Dabei unterhält er sich mit dem Vorsitzenden (diesem Tim Boswell). Er sagt, dass er sich schon für den Aufstand interessiert hat, seit sein Vater ihn als er noch ein Kind war zu einem Militärcamp mitnahm, wo ungarische Flüchtlinge untergebracht waren. Es sei wohl eine Überraschung, dass die Iren den Ungaren so großzügig gegenüber waren…er sagt dann weiterhin, es sei natürlich für Irland Flüchtlinge zu beherbergen, während es sich selbst von Jahrzehnten der Unterdrückung erholt. Sein Gesprächspartner versucht dann das Thema zu wechseln und redet so über die Müdigkeit, was die Widerspenstigkeit der irischen Politik anbelangt. Das Ich verbessert ihn jedoch: …die englische Politik in Irland?!
Dann sagt er irgendetwas mit diesem beiden Organisationen (was ich nicht genau verstehe)… und fängt dann an, dass der Norden immer noch ökonomisch und politisch ein Nichts ist während die Republik Erfolge verzeichnet. Letztlich ist Nordirland das Sorgenkind und bloß weil Nordirland unflexibel ist, was Politik anbelangt, sollte das nicht gleich den Begriff „irische Politik“ beschmutzen. Es ist letzten Endes Groß Britanniens Schuld und das müsste einiges aufwenden um das wieder gut zu machen…

Ist der Inhalt so korrekt? Ich weiß, der Artikel ist etwas länger geraten, aber es ist mir wichtig den Text zu verstehen.
Vielen dank und liebe Grüße,
roplheu

ich hab auch noch nicht ganz die Verbindung zur Überschirft gefunden…welche „walls“?!

Bitte, bitte, hilfe!

ich hab auch noch nicht ganz die Verbindung zur Überschirft
gefunden…welche „walls“?!

Hallo Roplheu,

noch immer durchziehen Belfast und andere nordirische Städte sogenannte „peace walls“, die katholische von protestantischen Wohnviertel abgrenzen. http://www.inspiringcities.org/documenten/citydevelo…
In diesen Mauern gibt es zwar tore, die aber teils ständig verschlossen sind (nur für LKW) oder nur tagsüber geöffnet werden.

Neben diesen physischen Mauern sind aber auch die Mauern in den Köpfen der Nordiren sehr präsent, was sich besonders an den „murals“ (Wandmalereien) ablesen lässt: http://www.inspiringcities.org/documenten/citydevelo…

Gruß
Eckard

der grund warum die peace walls also noch stehen, ist, dass die iren wollen dass sie noch stehen, nicht wie in berlin, wo beide parteien die mauer beseitigen wollen…und kennzeichen dafür sind die murals (wandmalereien) die kommen in nordirland und in der republik vor, ja?

der grund warum die peace walls also noch stehen, ist, dass
die iren wollen dass sie noch stehen, nicht wie in berlin, wo
beide parteien die mauer beseitigen wollen…und kennzeichen
dafür sind die murals (wandmalereien) die kommen in nordirland
und in der republik vor, ja?

Hallo,
so ist es. Ich hörte erst kürzlich, dass sowohl Katholiken als auch Protestanten in Derry es für besser hielten, die Mauern stehen zu lassen.

In der Republik besteht aber keine Notwendigkeit für die Mauern. Ich habe dort keine gesehen.

Die Murals sind zum Teil sehr explizit und brutal. Da kommt sehr viel Hass zum Ausdruck.

Gruß
Eckard