Erste Ladendiebstahl und visum

Hello
I have a serious question and I am desperate for your advice:
I was caught shoplifting in a supermarket today. It was not on purpose, I’m completely distracted and expecting possibly very bad news these days and I didn’t pay the things that were in my other bag (I was stupid not to take the shopping car!!!). The value was about 13e.
I left the shop and then I was stopped by the shop detective. I was terribly embarrassed when he mentioned one thing I didn’t pay and immediately remembered that I have others and really apologized and tried to talk to them. The detective didn’t believe me and wouldn’t listen, and I can understand him, but… I cannot explain how terrible I feel because I’m very honest and even have a great international career.
Anyway, I paid the fine at the shop (25e), but they called the police since I didn’t have my passport with me (I live across the street).
The police took me home, saw my passport and visa and that was all. They didn’t write me any piece of paper (they just wrote down my data).
Then they told me that I will get a letter and then I should write a letter to them.
My german is not great and when I asked one of the officers what will happen and what are the consequences - they replied: „nothing“. I tried to find out more, but they were not really cooperative.
I am so so sorry, but I don’t know what to do and what will happen to me now. I don’t know anything about law and justice and I was never in a situation like this!
I am an excellent student on postgraduate studies and I have student’s visa which is valid until end of november 2012. I plan to renew my visa because I have many projects planned for upcoming years.
Will I have any problems when I have to renew my visa next year in november? Will they refuse the renewal?
Please help me! I’m really, really desperate.
Thank you in advance

Sorry, for my bad English.
Dont worry, for the first time,
nothing will happens. My wife have had
the thame problem!There will be no further
problems with a new Visa!!!
Grettings to the Online translator from Google ha,ha
Falko

Hi,

Your question is really one for the „legal board“ here (Allgemeine Rechtsfragen). If you are posting a query there, though, you have to ask as if it were a hypothetical question (laws in Germany forbid legal advice from non-lawyers).

As far as I know (but I am NOT a lawyer) the police were correct when they said „nothing“ - as nothing will come from this shoplifting offence.
The police was only called in to establish your identity. They did - if it happened as you told it - not open an incident report.

Good luck (and leave your big bags at home in the future)!

xxx
Tantamount

hi and thank you both!
i just wanted to hear if someone had experience with this and if you know something about the procedure.
i don’t wan’t bother people with my stuff, just to hear opinions.
maybe i forgot to state, but the shop detective did fill some kind of form. i don’t know if that was for the police. and the police was mentioning that i’ll get a letter from them so - i would just like to know what to expect and what’s the procedure.
thanks again.

and from now on - 2 shopping trolleys at the time.

Hallo,
ohne ein Anwalt zu sein, ich finde ein Ladendiebstahl ist kein Grund genug, aus Deutschland ausgewiesen zu werden. Hoechstens wird man vor dem Gericht stehen und die Strafe zahlen muessen, und bei oefteren Diebstaehlen koennte man ins Gefaengnis landen. In allen Faellen, fuer eine Ausweisung ist das schon laengst kein Grund. Voraussetzung, alle Papiere sind in Ordnung, wie Passe oder Ausweise etc.
VG, qas