Wie ist das Alltags-Leben in Groningen?

Hallo,
eine Freundin von mir überlegt, für ein Studium nach Groningen zu ziehen. Da sie allerdings noch recht wenig, um nicht zu sagen gar nichts über Groningen weiß, wollte ich für sie mal fragen, wie denn so das Alltagsleben in Groningen ist. Konkret z.B. Wie groß ist das Angebot für junge Menschen (Nachtleben, Bars, Sportvereine), wie gut ist Groningen an das niederländische bzw. deutsche Bahnnetz angeschlossen (Heimfahrten nach Hessen??). Wo kann man gut in Groningen wohnen, was sind schöne Ecken und was mögen Sie persönlich besonders an Groningen??
Fragen über Fragen :wink: Ich bedanke mich schon einmal vorab für jede Antwort, die Sila!

Hallo Sila,

Danke für die Anfrage. Ich weiß zwar, dass man nicht mit Links arbeiten soll, aber ich denke, es ist sinnvoll bei google mal Groningen einzugeben. Da findet man schon auf der ersten Seite recht viel. Das Alltagsleben in Groningen kenne ich nicht aus eigener Anschauung, weil ich dort nur einige Male war. Diese Zeit hat aber für derlei Recherchen nicht ausgereicht.
Zugverbindungen nach Hessen kann man über die Nederlandse Spoorwegen herausfinden.
Alle diesbezüglichen Fragen lassen sich sehr gut über den VVV Groningen oder über Gemeente Groningen gut klären. Hierfür aber dann doch mal ein Link:

http://gemeente.groningen.nl/deutsch

Ich hoffe, dass Deine Freundin damit was anfangen kann.

Herzliche Grüße
Antje

Hallo,
eine Freundin von mir überlegt, für ein Studium nach Groningen
zu ziehen. Da sie allerdings noch recht wenig, um nicht zu
sagen gar nichts über Groningen weiß, wollte ich für sie mal
fragen, wie denn so das Alltagsleben in Groningen ist. Konkret

wohnen, was sind schöne Ecken und was mögen Sie persönlich
besonders an Groningen??
Fragen über Fragen :wink: Ich bedanke mich schon einmal vorab für
jede Antwort, die Sila!

Hi!
Sorry for my English; I am sure you can read it much better than my German.
I live in the west of the country and we consider Groningen to be the ‚Ultima Thule‘.
However, the place has a university and seems to be a lot of fun. Two of my young cousins are attending university there and are full of praise about the city.
I know that one can get there easy by train. I also know the train from the Netherlands to Berlin, Hamburg go up North and to the East (as they go to Groningen) from The Hague every hour during the day, so I think it will not be difficult to get to Germany-Hessen. Just check the site of the Deutsche Bahn.
Take care to look for the cheapest fares!!! The DB is horrible expensive if you just take any ticket. I have the feeling the Dutch are more relaxed; for sure you do not always have to make reservations for a train. Check the site of Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
If you are an official student, it is possible that you will get the benefits of Dutch students,fre public transport.
Groningen itself is the centre of the North, the people in the North are considered to be a bit difficult and unfriendly. This is absolutly not true.
You might compare them to the people in Hamburg : nice and friendly enough but keeping a bit to themselves. By the way, the Groningers speak a dialect that is considered to be ‚German‘. Not that that helps if you are from Hessen, I image.
Anyhow, as a young student your friend will mainly have contact with other students. It is surprising how many Chinese are studying in Groningen, my Chinese daughter in law tells me. They think Groningen is as good as Peking, she says.
You should not think of ‚good places to live‘ in Groningen; as in the rest of the country you should be happy to find rooms at all. Surely the university or Hochschule is able to find you to find lodgings. Even rooms at a campus are not so bad, my son in law had a fantastic time in China in a shared-by-20-bedroom.
All big cities in the Netherlands are connected by trains during the night, too.
Groningen itself is a big city according to Dutch standards (not to people living in the part where I dwell, Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam or my family in Hamburg and Peking), but is in truth not so big at all. Everthing important can be reached by bicycle or on foot, I found.
Crime might be a point of concern to the parents of your friend. They should not worry too much. Petty thefts are common everywhere nowadays, as accidents in the traffic are. Groningen is a place where a bicycle is not safe unless locked and money found on the street will be quickly pocketted but that is about it. Not a centre of white-slavery, drugsdealing or things like that. It is possible to get drugs everywhere, so Groningen also has its ‚coffee‘-shops and a small red lightdistrict.
I hope this answer will help your friend to decide where to study. Groningen all in all is not a bad place to live and study in!
Feel free to ask other questions in German …