Englisch Geschichte Tagebucheintrag -

… Verbesserungsvorschläge?

Hallo,

ich habe eine englische Geschichte in Form eines Tagebucheintrages geschrieben (es ist eine Anlehnung an den Roman „Dracula“ von Bram Stoker aus der Sicht von Jonathan Harker). Hat jemand Verbesserungsvorschläge?

"Sunset. – When Quincey turned around, we saw that he pressed his hand on his chest. Blood ran through his fingers, so that we all were worried. “Mr. Harker, you cut his throat while I stab him with my Bowie knife.” We wanted to do as he said: While I cut the Count’s throat, Quincey tried to stab him. But suddenly, Dracula got up from his box and took Quincey’s knife. We all were scared. None of us knew what to do. The vampire came towards us with a gruesome expression upon his face – and then he stabbed all of us. All except from Quincey; he had already been stabbed by the gipsies that protected Dracula. I felt a stabbing pain in my chest, and when I fell down to the ground, I saw Qunincey lying next to me. Dead. That was the last thing I should see before darkness came over me.

I must have laid there for at least thirty minutes, for the sun had already set when I awoke. I was scared. My hand was lying on my chest, but I could not feel my heartbeat. “Mein Gott! Now we’re un-dead. Nosferatu. Vampyr. Our blood is infected with the virus. Goodness, we became unholy creatures of the Hell! Servants of Lucifer himself!” van Helsing cried desperately. He was as shocked as all of us. I do not know where, when and how, but we must have tasted from the Count’s blood or from the one of one of the other vampires. Dracula, his coach and all of his gipsies had disappeared. I am not sure, but I guess that they went on to Borgo Pass, directly to his castle. Because we did not know, we could not go on hunting him.

“What shall we do now?” Mina asked Professor van Helsing. “You know a lot about vampires, don’t you? Can you teach us?” - “It seems like I have to”, he replied with a sad voice. “Is this my reward for saving the world from terrible diseases – and vampires?”

While I write this, I can feel my veins burning and my canine teeth growing. This feeling is unknown to me, but I think it is bloodlust. What a terrible feeling! Now I understand why Dracula bit all the people. Everything I hear is louder, everything I smell is more intensive and everything I can see is clearer. Will I ever get used to this? To an eternal life with bloodlust and such strong senses? O r shall I ask van Helsing to drive a stake through my heart? No! I may not give up!

I am still wearing the clothes I wore when I died, for it had only been an hour or a little more from my death to now. My crucifix is still hanging around my neck. I wonder why it does not harm me. Maybe we are different from other vampires, for religious things – such as crucifixes or holy water - normally burn their skin when they touch them.

I heard a rabbit jumping around. “What are you waiting for? Catch it!” van Helsing said. When I held it in my hands, I wondered whether I should really kill this cute little thing. But if I wanted to get rid of this burning pain, I had to. My canine teeth grew. I pulled the rabbit’s head back and dug them into its throat. God, forgive me! I have to admit that it was the best thing to do, for the pain has almost gone.

When van Helsing took out his mirror, I realised that me and all the others had a reflection in it. The Professor could not explain this. “We must be a new kind of vampires”, he guessed.

´We do not fight a single monster but legions of them.´ - ´The vampire doesn’t die like the bee after the first sting; he grows stronger.´ - ´Your last drop of blood? Thank you, you’re very welcome here. I didn’t ask as much as that. Not yet.´ - ´A peasant unearths no grain to see whether it grows. Only children who play peasant do this, but not those who earn their money with it.´ - ´She’s not a helpless victim, she’s a willing recruit. She is… the devil’s… concubine!´ All of van Helsing’s quotations which I ever heard or read in the other’s diaries came into my mind, and some of them now were fitting very well to us.

Becoming a vampire must have stressed me, for I feel very tired now.

24th November

Dawn. – After I had laid down, I fell asleep immediately. I woke up three hours later. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that vampires need less sleep than humans.

The sun does not weaken me. This is another strange thing that separates us from most of the other vampires.

27th November

I was not in the mood for writing during the last two days. We are driving along the Danube by ship now. Although we are vampires, we can cross water whenever we want. Unlike Dracula.

Today I had a wolf for breakfast. The largest animal I have bitten yet. Van Helsing had taught us a lot about hunting – although we are un-dead since only four days. After all of this, I wonder what we will witness in future…"

Hallo,

habe einige Verbesserungen, die mir aufgefallen sind, eingefügt…

Hoffe, es hilft Dir.

Smith

"Sunset. – When Quincey turned around, we saw that he pressed his hand on his chest. Blood ran through his fingers, so that we all were worried. “Mr. Harker, you cut his throat while I stab him with my Bowie knife.” We wanted to do as he said: While I cut Count’s throat, Quincey tried to stab him. But suddenly, Dracula got up from his box and took Quincey’s knife. We were all scared. None of us knew what to do. The vampire came towards us with a gruesome expression upon his face – and then he stabbed all of us. All except of Quincey; he had already been stabbed by the gipsies that protected Dracula. I felt a stabbing pain in my chest, and when I fell down to the ground, I saw Qunincey lying next to me. Dead. That was the last thing I should see before darkness came over me. 

I must have laid there for at least thirty minutes, for the sun had already set when I awoke. I was scared. My hand was lying on my chest, but I could not feel my heartbeat. “My God! Now we’re un-dead. Nosferatu. Vampyr. Our blood is infected with the virus. Goodness, we became unholy creatures of the Hell! Servants of Lucifer himself!” van Helsing cried desperately. He was as shocked as all of us. I do not know where, when and how, but we must have tasted from Count’s blood or from one of the other vampires. Dracula, his coach and all of his gipsies had disappeared. I am not sure, but I guess that they went on to Borgo Pass, directly to his castle. Because we did not know, we could not go on hunting him.

“What shall we do now?” Mina asked Professor van Helsing. “You know a lot about vampires, don’t you? Can you teach us?” - “It seems like I have to”, he replied with a sad voice. “Is this my reward for saving the world from terrible diseases – and vampires?”

While I am writing this, I can feel my veins burning and my canine teeth growing. This feeling is unknown to me, but I think it is bloodlust. What a terrible feeling! Now I understand why Dracula bit all the people. Everything I hear is louder, everything I smell is more intensive and everything I can see is clearer. Will I ever get used to this? To an eternal life with bloodlust and such strong senses? O r shall I ask van Helsing to drive a stake through my heart? No! I may not give up!

I am still wearing the clothes I wore when I died, for it had only been an hour or a little more from my death to now. My crucifix is still hanging around my neck. I wonder why it does not harm me. Maybe we are different from other vampires, for religious things – such as crucifixes or holy water - normally burn their skin when they touch them. 

I heard a rabbit jumping around. “What are you waiting for? Catch it!” van Helsing said. When I held it in my hands, I wondered whether I should really kill this cute little thing. But if I wanted to get rid of this burning pain, I had to. My canine teeth grew. I pulled the rabbit’s head back and dug them into its throat. God, forgive me! I have to admit that it was the best thing to do, for the pain has almost gone.

When van Helsing took out his mirror, I realised that I and all the others had a reflection in it. The Professor could not explain this. “We must be a new kind of vampires”, he guessed. 

´We do not fight a single monster but legions of them.´ - ´The vampire doesn’t die like the bee after the first sting; he grows stronger.´ - ´Your last drop of blood? Thank you, you’re very welcome here. I didn’t ask as much as that. Not yet.´ - ´A peasant unearths no grain to see whether it grows. Only children who play peasant do this, but not those who earn their money with it.´ - ´She’s not a helpless victim, she’s a willing recruit. She is… the devil’s… concubine!´ All of van Helsing’s quotations which I ever heard or read in the other’s diaries came into my mind, and some of them now were fitting very well to us. 

Becoming a vampire must have stressed me, for I feel very tired now. 

24th November

Dawn. – After I had laid down, I felt asleep immediately. I woke up three hours later. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that vampires need less sleep than human beings. 

The sun does not wake me up me. This is another strange thing that separates us from most of the other vampires. 

27th November

I was not in the mood of writing during the last two days. We are driving along the Danube by ship now. Although we are vampires, we can cross water whenever we want. Unlike Dracula. 

Today I had a wolf for breakfast. The largest animal I have bitten yet. Van Helsing had taught us a lot about hunting – although we have been un-dead since only four days. After all of this, I wonder what we are going to witness in future…"

Hi,

ich habe zwei Punkte gefunden, die du noch verbessern könntest:

• Mein Gott - das hast du auf Deutsch gelassen
  • although we are un-dead for only four days

LG,
Elke

Danke für die Antwort :smile:

Das mit dem „Mein Gott“ ist eine ganz witzige Geschichte (okay, witzig ist sie nicht wirklich^^)… im Buch sagt van Helsing das soweit ich mich erinnern kann auch mindestens einmal auf Deutsch (hab’s auf Englisch gelesen)… mit dem Buch kann man sowieso Deutsch lernen^^… hier mal ein paar Beispiele:

• Das Wort „Herr“ wird auf Deutsch gelassen
  • van Helsing sagt „Mein Gott“
  • Zitat aus dem Gedicht „Lenore“: „Denn die Toten reiten schnell.“

Hallo Graf.

Ich hab nur mal die Grammatik gecheckt. Alles ok. soweit ich sehe. Ach nee: im 2. Abschnitt muss es korrekterweise heißen „we have become“ statt „we became“. Im letzten Abschnitt auch „we have been undead for only four days.“ Und davor: beim Schiff sagt man nicht „driving“ sondern sailing — auch wenn es kein Segelschiff ist.

M.

Lieber Graf Dracula

ich habe deine Geschichte gelesen und finde sie sehr interressant. Zumal sie die Figuren wie van Helsing und Jonathan Harker als neue Generation von Vampiren erscheinen lässt.
Es hat mehrere interressante Varianten von Bram Stokers Dracula gegeben. Nicht zuletzt die Variante von Wes Craven, wo Dracula eigentlich Judas Ischariot ist, (der Judas, der Jesus für 30 Silberlinge verriet und sich nach der Kreuzigung Jesu erhängte).
Ich finde den Stil in dem du die Geschichte geschrieben hast sehr gut und du solltest sie unbedingt weiterführen. Ein Tip vielleicht noch. Die Geschichte spielt im 19. Jahrhundert. Das Englisch was zu dieser Zeit verwand wurde war etwas Antik im Gegensatz zum heutigen Englisch. Nach Möglichkeit solltest du keine „modernen“ Englischausdrücke verwenden. Es ist schwierig eine gute Geschichte zu verbessern.Deshalb wünsche ich dir weiterhin viel Erfolg. Über eine Fortsetzung würde ich mich freuen.

Gruß steelstring

Fallen dir irgendwelche modernen Ausdrücke auf? Wenn ja, was könnte ich stattdessen schreiben? Mir selbst fällt nämlich nur auf, dass die Figuren ein wenig Umgangssprache einbauen (z.B. „don’t“ statt „do not“)…

Hi,

anstelle von…

> All except from Quincey

…würde ich schreiben:

> All except Quincey

Und der Satzteil…

> …for it had only been an hour or a little more from my death to now.

…kommt mir ein wenig merkwürdig vor, allerdings hätte ich hierzu keinen Verbesserungsvorschlag.

Grüße
Heinrich

Das ist wirklich witzig :smile: Neulich habe ich auch einen Roman auf Englisch (USA) gelesen, in dem das Wort „Hausfrau“ auf deutsch vorkam… Scheint in Amerika wohl gebräuchlich zu sein, wie Kindergarten oder Zeitgeist.

LG,
Elke

Hallo

Ich hab das Buch leider nicht gelesen, kann daher nichts über den faktischen Inhalt oder die Persönlichkeit und Ausdrucksweise des Tagebuchschreibers sagen.
Allgemein gefällt mir der Eintrag recht gut. Du benutzt die Sprache sicher und vermutlich auch angemessen an der Zeit in der sich das Buch bewegt. Du erwähnst die wichtigsten Ereignisse des Tages (soweit ich das sagen kann)und beschreibst die Gedanken und Gefühle der Figur, sowie ihre Wünsche für die Zukunft. Was mir aber auffiel, ist der etwas zusammenhangslose Anfang, der mitten in einer Szene beginnt. Das ist etwas verwirrend und eher untypisch für einen Tagebucheintrag, aber vielleicht hast du ja durch den Kontext einen Grund dafür. Ansonsten benutzt du bloß etwas viel wörtliche Rede, während in Tagebüchern in der Regel die indirekte Rede angewendet wird.

Das war’s von meiner Seite. ich hoffe ich konnte dir weiter helfen.

Gruß Lanceolata

Der Zweck des „Wer-Weiß-Was“ ist Hilfe mit verschiedenen Problemen anzubieten, nicht eine gebührenfreie Maschine zur Nachhilfekorrektur längerer Texte zu sein.

Nichtsdestoweniger:
(-leider kann man Korrekturen mit roter Schrift nicht markieren)

"Sunset. – When Quincey turned around(,) we saw that he pressed his hand (on) to his chest. Blood ran through his fingers(,) so that we were all (were) worried. “Mr. Harker, you cut his throat (while) and I’ll stab him with my Bowie knife.” We (wanted) were prepared to do as he said: While I cut the Count’s throat, Quincey tried to stab him(. B), but suddenly(,) Dracula got up from his box and took Quincey’s knife. We (all were scared) were all very frightened. None of us knew what to do. The vampire came towards us with a gruesome??? expression upon his face – and then he stabbed all of us(. A), i.e. all except (from) Quincey; he had already been stabbed by the gipsies that protected Dracula. I felt a (stabbing) sharp pain in my chest, and when I (fell down) had fallen to the ground, I saw Qu(n)incey lying next to me. Dead. That was the last thing I (should see) saw before darkness (came over) fell upon me.

I must have (laid) been lying there for at least thirty minutes(,) for the sun had already set when I awoke. I was scared. My hand was (lying) on my chest, but I could not feel my heartbeat. “Mein Gott! Now we’re un-dead???. Nosferatu. Vampyr. Our blood (is) has been infected with the virus. (Goodness) Good God, we (became) have become unholy creatures??? of (the) Hell! (S)-servants of Lucifer himself!” van Helsing cried desperately. He was as shocked as (all of us) we all were. I do not know where, when and how this happened, but we must have tasted (from) the Count’s blood or (from the one) that of one of the other vampires. Dracula, his coach and all of his gipsies had disappeared. I am not sure, but I (guess that) suppose they went on to Borgo Pass, direct(ly) to his castle. (Because) Since we did not know(,) we could not (go on hunting) continue chasing him.
“What shall we do now?” Mina asked Professor van Helsing. “You know (a lot) much about vampires, don’t you? Can you teach us?” - “It (seems like) looks as if I have to”, he replied (with) in a sad voice. “Is this my reward for saving the world from terrible diseases – and vampires?”

(While I write) Writing this(,) I can feel my veins burning and my canine teeth growing. This feeling is unknown to me, but I think it shows(is bloodlust) a lust for blood. What a terrible feeling! Now I understand why Dracula (bit) plunged his teeth into all (the) those people. Everything I hear is louder, everything I smell is more intensive and everything I can see is clearer than before. Will I ever get used to this? To an eternal life with bloodthirst(lust) and such strong senses? (O r) -or shall I ask van Helsing to drive a stake through my heart? No! I (may) must not give up!

I am still wearing the clothes I wore when I died(,for it had only been an hour or a little more from my death to now) for only about an hour had passed since then. My (crucifix) cross is still (hanging a)round my neck(.), and I wonder why it (does not harm) is not harmful to me. Maybe we are different from other vampires(, for) when it comes to religious (things) objects – such as (crucifixes) crosses or holy water: -These normally burn the(ir) skin when (they) vampires touch them.

I heard a rabbit jumping (around) about. “What are you waiting for? Catch it!” van Helsing said. (When I held) Holding it in my hands(,) I wondered whether I should really kill this (cute) soft little thing. (But i) If I wanted to get rid of this burning pain,however, I (had) would have to. My canine teeth grew. I pulled the rabbit’s head back and dug them into its throat. God, forgive me! I (have to) must admit (that) it was the best thing to do(,) for the pain has almost gone???.

When van Helsing took out his mirror(,) I realised that (me and all the others had) there was a reflection of me and all the others in it. The Professor could not explain (this). “We must be a new kind of vampires”, he guessed.

´We do not fight a single monster but legions of them.´ - ´(The) A vampire doesn’t die like (the) a bee after (the) its first sting; he grows stronger.´ - ´Your last drop of blood? Thank you, you’re very welcome here. I didn’t ask as much as that. Not yet.´ - ´A peasant unearths no grain to see whether it grows. Only children (who) playing peasants do this, but not those who earn their money with it???.´ - ´She’s not a helpless victim, she’s a willing recruit. She is… the (d)Devil’s… concubine!´ All (of) van Helsing’s (quotations which I ever) words I had heard or read in (the other’s) diaries came into my mind, and some of them were now (were fitting very well to us) very appropriate.

Becoming a vampire must have (stressed) been very stressful to me(,) for I feel very tired now.

24(th) November

Dawn. – After I had (laid) lain down, I fell asleep immediately. I woke up three hours later. (Therefore, I came) That made me come to the conclusion that vampires need less sleep than humans.

The sun does not weaken me. This is another strange thing that separates us from most (of the) other vampires.

27(th) November

I was not in the mood for writing during the last two days. We are (driving along) sailing down the Danube (by ship) now. (Although we are vampires,) Being vampires we can cross water whenever we want …… (U)unlike Dracula.

Today I (had) ate a wolf for breakfast. (T) It was the largest animal I have yet (bitten yet) sunk my teeth into. Van Helsing had taught us a lot about hunting – although we (are) have been un-dead (since) for only four days. (After all of this, I wonder what we will witness in future…) I now wonder what the future will bring"

Hallo,

ja, das mit dem Anfang hat einen Grund. Ich verrate ja eigentlich das Ende von Büchern nicht gerne, aber hier muss ich es wohl: Am Ende von „Dracula“ wird Quincey von den Zigeunern erstochen, doch es gelingt ihm noch Dracula zu erstechen, während Harker dem Vampir die Kehle durchschneidet. An diese Szene soll das anknüpfen.

Achso, dann steht davor also die „Einleitung“ zum Geschehen (ala „Liebes Tagebuch“). Das erklärt einiges.

Dann weiter viel Erfolg

Lanceolata

… Verbesserungsvorschläge?

Hallo, ich möchte gerade keine Graf Drakula Story lesen. Grüße, ynot

Hallo Graf Dracula,

die Umgangssprache ist eigentlich korrekt, obwohl die Figuren wie van Helsing und Jonathan Harker eher aus dem gehobenen Stand kamen und sich eher etwas fürnehm ausdrückten. Was mir allerdings aufgefallen ist wärend des Plots, wo Graf Dracula alle anderen niedersticht, wiederholst du sehr oft das Wort stabbed für stechen und auch für den stechenden Schmerz im Hals benutzt du wieder das Wort stabbed. Ein anderes Wort hierfür wäre zum beispiel stinged = stechend eine andere möglichkeit zum beispiel um das niedergemetzel von Quincie hätte man auch als massacring = niedermetzeln bezeichnen können. In dem Satz „Dracula got out of his box.“ hätte man auch schreiben können „Dracula rose out of his coffin“ (coffin = Sarg- casket= amerikanisch für Sarg), ich glaube nämlich nicht, dass Graf Dracula in einer „Kiste“ gelegen hat.Als Harker feststellte, dass er untot ist Benutzt du die Redewendung in Deutsch „Mein Gott“ war das gewollt oder hast Du dich nur vertippt und wolltest " My God"schreiben.Für die „Canine Teeth“ (Kaninchenzähne) würde ich eher das Wort „fangs“ für Reißzähne benutzen. Vielleicht hast du eher an die Darstellung des Nosferatu, gespielt von Max Schreck, gedacht. Der hatte nämlich solche „Hasenzähne“. In der Darstellung des Grafen Dracula die von Christopher Lee oder Bela Lugosi gespielt wurde hatte dieser nämlich Reißzähne.

Ansonsten habe ich nichts gefunden was man vielleicht noch ändern oder verbessern könnte. Bleib in dem Stil so wie bisher.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Vielen Dank :smile:

Dracula schläft laut dem Buch übrigens wirklich in einer Kiste…

Das „Mein Gott“ (das stammt übrigens von van Helsing) ist gewollt. Soweit ich mich erinnere sagt er das im Buch auch auf Deutsch (hab’s auf Englisch gelesen).

Das sind übrigens keine Reiß- sondern eher Fangzähne. Reißzähne sind Backenzähne, die wie Scheren ineinander greifen und das Fleisch regelrecht „zerschneiden“.

Laut meinem Wörterbuch (und laut Stokers Roman anscheinend auch) heißt „canine teeth“ so viel wie „Eckzähne“…

Trotzdem danke :smile:

Hallo Graf Dracula,

mit den Backenzähnen bin ich nicht ganz einverstanden
den Backenzähne wie zum Beispiel beim Hund schneiden in der Tat das Fleisch wie eine Schere sie heißen im Enlischen aber „molar“ im Wörterbuch www.linguee.de
wird der Reißzahn (Beim Hund die langen Eckzähne) als „Fang“ bezeichnet. Die menschlichen Eckzähne heißen in der Tat canine teeth ich habe es selbst auch noch einmal nachgeschlagen.

Die Vampirzähne werden aber als Vampires fang bezeichnet. Anbei eine kleine Leseprobe ebenfalls gefunden bei linguee.de

„It brings a lot of shudder and goose bumps when he disguises or shows his fangs of a vampire.“

übersetzt:

jede Menge Grusel und Gänsehaut, wenn er in verschiedene Rollen schlüpft oder seine Vampirzähne zeigt.

Falls du mal den Original Nosfertu mit Max Schreck gesehen hast (Ist ein Stummfilm und wirkt durch seine düstere schwarz weiß aufmachung und die Orgelmusik als begleitung teilweise gruseliger als das Remake mit Klaus Kinski) In diesem Film hatte Maß Schreck in der Tat die Vorderen Schneidezähne anstatt die Eckzähne lang und Spitz zulaufend, wahrscheinlich um die Verbindung zur Fledermaus zu schaffen, es gibt einige Arten die nicht wie der kleine Vampir längere spitze Eckzähne haben sondern ähnlich wie bei Mäusen lange Schneidezähne. Im Remake von Wes Craven sind einige Totenschädel von menschlichen Vampiren zu sehen die die vorderen Schneidezähne länger als die Eckzähne haben.Eben wie bei der Darstellung von Max Schreck.
Vielleicht habe ich dir damit helfen können.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
steelstring

Hallo,

auch im Englischen gibt es teilweise zwei Begriffe, die ein und dasselbe bezeichnen (z.B. bei American udn British English). Und laut leo.org ist ein molar ein gewöhnlicher Backenzahn.

Im Biologieunterricht haben wir auch gelernt, dass Reißzähne besondere Backenzähne sind. Das Bild bekräftigt das noch mal: http://www.faunistik.net/BSWT/MAMMALIA/CARNIVORA/IMA…

Vampirzähne werden zwar oft Reißzähne bzw. fangs genannt, aber demzufolge ist das eigentlich falsch (künstlerische Freiheit?).

Zwar habe ich den Film „Nosferatu - Eine Symphonie des Grauens“ (noch) nicht gesehen, aber ich kenne einige Bilder daraus. Das mit den Eckzähnen kommt ja (in Bezug auf Schauspielerei; die Bücher lassen wir mal weg) ursprünglich auch aus dem Theater und wurde später für die Tonfilme übernommen, da man mit langen Eckzähnen einfach besser sprechen kann als mit langen Schneidezähnen.

Dass das Original besser ist, glaube ich gerne. Das Remake „Nosferatu - Phantom der Nacht“ ist FSK 16. Ich bin 14 und habe mich an manchen Stellen totgelacht (z.B. bei den Versuchen von den Einwohnern Harker davon abzuhalten auf das Schloss zu gehen).

Hi,

bin gerade zurück aus den Ferien. Ich nehme an du brauchst keine Hilfe mehr, oder?

Viel Erfolg mit deiner Arbeit!

Dann hoffe ich, du hattest einen schönen Urlaub :smile:

Die Geschichte habe ich zwar schon meinem Lehrer zum Korrekturlesen gegeben, aber für Verbesserungsvorschläge bin ich immer offen…