What do Europeans think about the "crown" pattern?

I designed a ceiling lamp with a crown pattern, hoping to sell it to Europe. But it seems that the people in Europe are not very interested. They seem to prefer clouds/stars/moon/other shapes.
It is as if I have misunderstood the European people.
I sincerely want to know the real opinion of European people about the „crown motif“.
Thank you.

Hello Alicia,

not all countries in Europe have yet managed to shake off the monarchy - there are still several there that are not yet real republics, but are ruled as strange chimeras as „constitutional monarchies“.

Therefore, the crown motif is not very good for flattering the people of Europe: they still have some serious things to do in this context.

Yours

MM

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. Aprilfisch
Then I probably understand why the sales are not particularly good.
I was going to design it for a child’s room, and it is very cute.
In fact, in Asia, this look is quite accepted (though not very popular). Our monarchy has been extinct for many years. And we think that every child is the little prince and princess of his parents. That’s why we have designed such products. Probably there is a cultural difference between Europe and Asia here.

Thank you.

For children’s rooms, all motifs from the context of fable and fantasy would probably be interesting. In this context, a challenging task that you could probably solve more easily and better than a designer from Europe would be the design of a motif with the classic Chinese dragon, but drawn with friendly, soft, round facial features (but not appearing silly childish with oversized manga eyes and stupid grins, etc.).

Yours

MM

Hi!

Europe is a union of several countries with different cultures, languages, and views.
So if you are asking here, you get german opinions, and though they may vary, you may get completely different opinions from french, spanish, italian, czech,… people.
This is especially true for topics like style an motifs.

The UK has the Queen, so Crowns are part of everydays life, and everybody seems to be happy with it.
Many other european countries have Kings and Queens, but it seems there is not such a hype around them as in the UK.
And in Germany, monarchy ended 1918, so there is nobody alive remembering it. Later, there was Hitler, who was not a monarch, but more or less was the one person ruling the country, and everybody knows what happened. So, Germans don’t have much minds about crowns, and a more sceptical mind about one person ruling everything. For us, a crown is something from a fairy tale, which makes it a motif for children.

Apart from this, it’s always a question of design. What is totally fine in one country is too kitschy in the other.

That is the most important information! Then you can leave out everything about monarchies and different european countries that has been written. In a childs world with princesses and kings, knights, … the crown motif normally works wonderful in Europe and there are more than enough examples of such designs selling very well. So it must be an individual thing, that your lamp has problems. Perhaps the design of the whole lamp or the crown does not fit european taste. Perhaps you can post a picture.

What is striking about the pictures is that the very sober, clear lines and colouring contrast, if not contradict, the motif of fairy tales, fables and fantasies.

1 Like

OK, I see the problem :wink: The type of the lamp itself is very neutral, not to say „technical“ and cold. Speaking of a a room for a little princess or a little king or knight with the mood of a castle or palace this is simply not romantical and warm enough. The motif is nice, but I would never install such a type of lamp - despite of the nice motif - in the room of a child who „demands“ to live like a princess or king. Instead I would look for a type of lamp that looks more like something you would have found in a castle or palace.

1 Like

Dieses Thema wurde automatisch 30 Tage nach der letzten Antwort geschlossen. Es sind keine neuen Nachrichten mehr erlaubt.